The Heidelberg Catechism: Lord's Day 35
96. Question: What does God require in the second commandment?
Answer: We are not to make an image of God in any way, nor to worship Him in any other manner than He has commanded in His Word.
 Deut. 4:15-19; Is. 40:18-25; Acts 17:29; Rom. 1:23.  Lev. 10:1-7; Deut. 12:30; I Sam. 15:22, 23; Matt. 15:9; John 4:23, 24.
97. Question: May we then not make any image at all?
Answer: God cannot and may not be visibly portrayed in any way. Creatures may be portrayed, but God forbids us to make or have any images of them in order to worship them or to serve God through them.
 Ex. 34:13, 14, 17; Num. 33:52; II Kings 18:4, 5; Is. 40:25.
98. Question: But may images not be tolerated in the churches as “books for the laity”?
Answer: No, for we should not be wiser than God. He wants His people to be taught not by means of dumb images but by the living preaching of His Word.
 Jer. 10:8; Hab. 2:18-20.  Rom. 10:14, 15, 17; II Tim. 3:16, 17; II Pet. 1:19.
The Heidelberg Catechism: Lord's Day 34
92. Question: What is the law of the LORD?
Answer: God spoke all these words, saying: I am the LORD your God, who
brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
1. You shall have no other gods before Me.
2. You shall not make for yourself a graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them or serve them; for I
the LORD your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generation of those who hate Me, but showing steadfast love to thousands of those who love Me and keep My
3. You shall not take the Name of the LORD your God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless who takes His Name in vain.
4. Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor, and do all your work; but the seventh day is a sabbath to the LORD your God; in it you shall not do any work, you, or your son, or your daughter, your manservant, or your maidservant, or your cattle, or the sojourner who is within your gates; for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day; therefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day and hallowed it.
5. Honour your father and your mother, that your days may be long in the land which the LORD your God gives you.
6. You shall not kill.
7. You shall not commit adultery.
8. You shall not steal.
9. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
10. you shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or his manservant, or his maidservant, 10. or his ox, or his ass, or anything that is your neighbor’s.
 Ex. 20:1-17; Deut. 5:6-21.
93. Question: How are these commandments divided?
Answer: Into two parts. The first teaches us how to live in relation to God; the second, what duties we owe our neighbor.
 Matt. 22:37-40.
94. Question: What does the LORD require in the first commandment?
Answer: That for the sake of my very salvation I avoid and flee all idolatry, witchcraft, superstition, and prayer to saints or to other creatures. Further, that I rightly come to know the only true God. trust in Him alone, submit to Him with all humility and patience, expect all good from Him only, and love, fear, and honour Him with all my heart. In short, that I forsake all creatures rather than do the least thing against His will.
 I Cor. 6:9, 10; 10:5-14; I John 5:21.  Lev. 19:31; Deut. 18:9-12.  Matt. 4:10; Rev. 19:10; 22:8, 9.  John 17:3.  Jer. 17:5, 7.  I Pet. 5:5, 6.  Rom. 5:3, 4; I Cor. 10:10; Phil. 2:14; Col. 1:11; Heb. 10:36.  Ps. 104:27, 28; Is. 45:7; James 1:17.  Deut. 6:5; (Matt. 22:37).  Deut. 6:2; Ps. 111:10; Prov. 1:7; 9:10; Matt. 10:28; I Pet. 1:17.  Deut. 6:13; (Matt. 4:10); Deut. 10:20.  Matt. 5:29, 30; 10:37-39; Acts 5:29.
95. Question: What is idolatry?
Answer: Idolatry is having or inventing something in which to put our trust instead of, or in addition to, the only true God who has revealed Himself in His Word.
 I Chron. 16:26; Gal. 4:8, 9; Eph. 5:5; Phil. 3:19.