A Year with Jesus
Week 7: The Way
PDF file at bottom
Read: John 14:6; Acts 9:1-2; Acts 19:9, 23; Acts 22:4; Acts 24:22.
Way, The. One of the earliest names applied to the Christian community (Acts 9:2). It was apparently used by both the Jewish and the secular community and appeared in both positive and negative assessments of the church (19:9, 23; 22:4; 24:14, 22). Paul’s use of the term in his defense before Felix suggests that the name had at least quasi-official acceptance (24:14, 22).
Followers of the Way. Christianity was far from being simply an abstract belief; it was a whole way of life. The new way of living was obvious to those around Christians and to the Christians themselves, for they were following Jesus’ life style, the way he had lived and taught. Soon the term “this Way” or “the Way” meant Christian. Thus Saul (the pre-Christian name of Paul) was sent to Damascus to arrest anyone belonging to “the Way” (Acts 9:2). Christians may also have used the term to describe themselves; Luke referred to the Christian movement as “the Way” (Acts 19:9, 23; 24:22). It is the only name Christians and non-Christians both may have used for the new movement.
1. One of the things that makes Jesus different than all other founders of religions and philosophical worldviews is that he does not merely point to a way of thinking or living, though he does. But he also says he is the way.
a. Describe how Jesus “is” the way. How do you understand his words in John 14:6 about declaring himself to be way?
b. Describe how Jesus points to the way. What “way(s)” is Jesus pointing to?
2. Why do you think the early disciples of Jesus were called “followers of the Way” by outsiders?
3. What does it mean for you to think of Jesus as “the way of salvation” or the “way to God?”
4. What does it mean for you to think of Jesus as your “way of life?”
5. How is “the way of Jesus” different than the ways of the world?
6. In what areas of your life do you find it difficult to follow the way(s) of Jesus? Why do you think that is?
7. What are some spiritual habits you can implement in your life to help you better recognize Jesus as “the Way?”
8. What are some spiritual habits you can implement in your life to help you better follow the way(s) of Jesus?
9. What spiritual friend do you have who you can share your struggles with? Pray with? And who will help hold you accountable in your pursuit of following Jesus as the Way, as well as the ways of Jesus?
10. Contact the person you mentioned in the above question and set up a time to meet and discuss the issues raised in these questions, to pray together, and to begin an accountable relationship with one another.
 Elwell, W. A., & Beitzel, B. J. (1988). Way, The. In Baker encyclopedia of the Bible (Vol. 2, p. 2134). Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Book House.
 Elwell, W. A., & Beitzel, B. J. (1988). Christians, Names For. In Baker encyclopedia of the Bible (Vol. 1, p. 432). Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Book House.