Cleansing the Temple
(for the week of March 7, 2021)
PDF file at the bottom
This Week’s Scripture: John 2:13-22
Key Idea from Sermon
“The temple was holy ground, but unholy things were going on there. Therefore, Jesus went on a rampage and threw out the people who were selling animals for sacrifice at scalper prices. He cleansed the temple. He forcibly threw out all the unholy clutter. He returned the temple back into a holy place for holy purposes. The Bible says our bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 6:19-20). Jesus wants to cleanse our temples of unholy things too. Let’s let Him!”
1. What is “Passover” and why was Jesus observing it? (Read Exodus 12:1-14 to learn more about Passover)
2. Based on the Scripture from Exodus 12, how would you say Jesus fulfilled Passover? (To learn more, visit the following link from, “Jews for Jesus," - “Christ in the Passover.” It is a wonderful visual explanation of how Jesus fulfilled Passover.)
3. Did you already know how Jesus so beautifully fulfilled Passover, or was this new to you? What impressed you most as you realized how Passover pointed to the coming of Jesus? Did you have an “aha” moment? Share with your thoughts and experiences with your group.
4. How might you share this good news about Jesus with your family members and friends? What key points would you highlight for them?
5. Jesus was not happy with what was taking place in the temple courts. Why did this bother Jesus so much? What was supposed to be happening there?
6. The disciples remembered that Psalm 69.9 says, “Zeal for my Father’s house will consume me.” What do you think that means? Pastor Phillip asks, “How does zeal for the Father and his house consume you?”
7. What does “zeal for God’s house or temple” mean in light of 1 Corinthians 6:19a: “Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God?”
8. Knowing that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, what are some practical things you can put into practice to help you maintain a “zeal” for God? What “unholy things” do you need to cleanse from your life?
9. What was Jesus referring to in verse 19?
10. The disciples and others did not seem to understand what Jesus meant in verse 19. When did the disciples finally understand what Jesus meant and how did they respond?
11. Share prayer requests and spend a few minutes praying for one another if you feel comfortable doing so.
May you richly experience the presence of the Lord this week!!!
Life Group Studies