Show Me the Life Change
(for the week of November 8, 2020)
PDF at bottom
Note to Group Leaders: More than anyone else, you are aware of the size of your group, time constraints, the needs of your group, etc. Please read through the Scripture and material below and use whatever you believe will be most helpful to your group.
This Week’s Scripture: Amos 5:18-24
Key Idea from Sermon
“God does not want our outward pretension. He wants our hearts and lives to sincerely change.”
Discussing the Scripture
1. In verse 18, God asks his people why they are looking forward to the Day of the Lord. He says it will not be what they hope it is. Read Amos 5:1-17. What problem did God have with the way Israel had been living?
2. What will the Day of the Lord be like, according to Amos 5:18-20?
3. Read the following verses about the Day of the Lord from the New Testament. What does each say about the Day of the Lord?
4. Based on these verses, why do we need to place our faith in Jesus Christ?
5. Read Amos 5:21-23. According to these verses, what does God despise? Describe the imagery Amos uses to make this point.
What does Jesus say about this same thing in Matthew 15:8-9?
6. What does God desire, according to Amos 5:24? Why?
7. Read Matthew 23:13-39. What is Jesus most concerned about in these verses?
How do his words agree with the words in Amos?
Applying the Scripture
8. How would you respond to a relative or coworker who said he or she did not want to become a Christian because of all the hypocrites in the church? How is their concern valid? Explain your answers.
9. Why does God care about the inner condition of your heart (disposition, attitude, relationship) toward him, as long as you’re outwardly doing good deeds?
10. What might a false “appearance of piety” look like in our day? Have you ever been guilty of presenting yourself as godlier than you really are?
What were some of your motivations for doing so?
11. What are some reasons people try to present themselves as someone they are not?
12. What are three things you can start doing today to help keep you from hypocrisy?
Leave a Reply.
Life Group Studies