The Very Reason He Came
(for the week of March 21, 2021)
PDF File at Bottom
This Week’s Scripture: John 12:20-33
Key Idea from Sermon
Jesus said “yes” to God’s plan. Jesus brings glory to God.
1. Explain what happened in John 12:20-22.
2. What was it about the visitation of the “Greeks” or “Gentiles” that led Jesus to realize “his hour” had come (“his hour” = the time for him to go to the Cross” – verse 23)?
3. What is Jesus saying in verse 24? What are the practical implications of his teaching for Christian living?
4. Read verse 25. What does Jesus mean by using the following Jewish idioms? What is his main point in this verse?
5. What are some ways you “love your life” in this world (in the way Jesus is speaking about it)?
6. What should “hating your life” in this world look like (in the way Jesus is speaking about it)? Why is it so hard to have this perspective?
7. According to verse 26, what does a person who is serving Jesus do? What should that look like in a person’s life? And what is the “reward” for serving Jesus, according to Jesus?
8. Read verse 27. What was the “very reason” Jesus came to “this hour?” Why was Jesus so troubled over it?
9. How did this “very reason” bring glory to God? What does it mean to glorify God? Read 1 Corinthians 10:31 and describe what glorifying God ought to look like in your life.
10. Who is the “prince of this world” referring to in verse 31, and what does it mean that he will be “driven out?”
11. Now that you have had a chance to reflect on this week’s Scripture, what would you say God’s plan was that Jesus said “yes” to?
12. Share prayer requests and spend a few minutes praying for one another if you feel comfortable doing so.
May you richly experience the presence of God this week!!!
Life Group Studies