Toughing Out Against Temptation
(for the week of February 21, 2021)
PDF file at bottom
Note to Group Leaders: More than anyone else, you are aware of the size of your group, time constraints, the needs of your group, etc. Please read through the Scripture and material below and use whatever you believe will be most helpful to your group.
This Week’s Scripture: Matthew 4:1-11
Key Idea from Sermon
Jesus helps me when I’m tempted.
Some Thoughts from Pastor Phillip
The Holy Spirit led Jesus into this place of challenge. The Holy Spirit will lead, and be with us, during this time of challenge. We shouldn’t be afraid. Jesus fasts. This is a discipline that has been largely neglected in the modern western church. Jesus is famished and weak afterwards. Along comes the devil. He is smart and opportunistic and he looks for places to exploit. He seeks to exploit Jesus’ hunger, His insecurity with God the Father, and His heaviness about going to the cross. Jesus makes it through the temptations.
Starter Questions from Pastor Phillip
1. Read Matthew 4:1-11 and answer the following questions.
For Further Study & Discussion
2. What were the three ways Satan tempted Jesus?
3. When are you most likely to give into a temptation? Why do you think that is?
4. How did Jesus counter each temptation? What does that teach you about Jesus?
5. Read verse 4. What do you think Jesus’ response in that verse means for followers of Jesus today?
6. In the Lord’s Prayer Jesus teaches us to pray, “lead us not into temptation…” How do you avoid temptation? How do you counsel your child or good friend to resist temptation?
7. Based on Jesus’ three responses to Satan, how would he advise us to resist the everyday temptations we all face?
8. Share how you have grown in “spiritual wisdom and strength” to resist temptations in your life? How did you gain such wisdom and strength?
9. How do you usually respond after you have given into a temptation? What sort of impact does it have in your life?
10. Based on Matthew 4:1-11, what spiritual disciplines (or habits) had Jesus been committed to? In what ways do you think those disciplines helped him resist the devil? How might they help you?
11. Have you ever fasted for spiritual reasons? Share your experience with your group. What did you learn about God? About yourself?
12. Take prayer requests and spend a few minutes praying for one another if you feel comfortable doing so.
Life Group Studies